Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Inspiration For This Blog

So you might be wondering why a guy would start a blog dedicated to stay-at-home moms. I guess that's a valid question. I would probably be curious why a stay-at-home mom would start a blog dedicated to working fathers. After all, what could I learn about being a working dad (which I am) from a stay-at-home mom (which I'm definitely not!). It does seem a little counter-intuitive.

So here's the deal. Seven months ago my wife became a full-time SAHM. She quit her job as a middle school reading teacher (a job she LOVED, by the way) to stay at home with our 3 year old son Moe and 1 year old daughter Franki. We really had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, but we quickly realized we had a lot to learn. It has taken a while, but we seem to have hit our stride.

Before we get too far, let me say that I realize my wife has by far the most difficult part of this setup. It's not easy to chase 2 toddlers around all day. To make it even more difficult just shortly after we decided to change our lives dramatically, we got some BIG news: we were expecting ANOTHER baby. Baby #3 (tentatively named Henry) is due March 20th. That makes 3 in 3 1/2 years! All that being said, this was a joint decision and has definitely been a joint venture. I am definitely NOT a hands-off dad. I still do dishes, help clean the house and do my share of the laundry. So when I say "we" instead of "my wife" in certain places, I don't want anyone to get offended.

So anyway, my wife's introduction to the SAHM lifestyle has been a little rocky. But we wouldn't change a thing. It's been a tough transition, but we have turned the corner and seem to finally have things under control.

After watching my wife over the last few months, I decided it would be interesting to share a dad's perspective on the stay-at-home mom. And while I'm at it, why not share some resources, tips and ideas that make it just a little bit easier to be a SAHM. And I would love to hear what people think. About my ideas, my stories or anything else SAHM. I really want this to become a conversation that can help SAHMs succeed or convince families this is a step they can take.

No comments:

Post a Comment